Condition of entry and exit from/to Russia on foreign cars

Condition of entry and exit from/to Russia on foreign cars

Russia is a member of the Eurasian Customs Union (EACU) and therefore the rules of entry and exit from the Union countries are the same

Which countries are parts of the Eurasian Customs Union (EACU)?

  • Russia
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Belarus
  • Armenia

What do you need to know traveling by car?

No matter which of the countries of the Eurasia Customs Union (EACU) you enter, there is the same set of rules for everyone who enters one of countries of CU by their own vehicle. The main and basic rule is that one owner (driver) can enter only one vehicle without paying customs deposit, without the right to transfer ownership and operating of the vehicle to other persons. This means that when crossing the border, the driver will be required to fill out a Customs Declaration, in which he must specify the point of entry (Country) and point of exit (Country), the period of stay of the vehicle on the territory of the Customs Union. The vehicle must be driven out by the same owner (driver) as indicated in the customs Declaration.

When driving in Russia the following documents should be carried

  • passenger customs declaration
  • foreign registration certificate of the vehicle
  • civil passport and international passport (valid for at least six months after the date you plan to enter a foreign country)
  • valid visas (if needed) to all planned countries of the Customs Union along the route
  • international driving permit/ national driving permit (all the data is written in Latin)
  • insurance (third part) issued for the entire planned period of stay of the vehicle on the territory of the EEU (CTP Insurance policy for each planned country of the customs Union is issued directly at the border crossing points after passing the customs authority)

Documents that were issued at the entrance of the vehicle,

in Russia, are valid throughout the Customs Union: for example, if your trip takes this route: Finland-Russia-Kazakhstan-Kyrgyzstan-China, then you have to issue a Customs Declaration once when entering Russia at the Finnish-Russian border and show it at the exit from Kyrgyzstan at the Kyrgyz-Chinese border. In this case, the period of stay of the vehicle in the countries of the Customs Union (Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan) must not exceed the period specified in the customs Declaration.

If you follow the route: Latvia-Russia-Mongolia-Russia-Kazakhstan-Uzbekistan- Kyrgyzstan in this case, you have to issue several entry documents: the first time at the border of Latvia with Russia, the second time at the border of Mongolia with Russia and the third time at the border of Uzbekistan with Kyrgyzstan.

We can give you more detailed information about the necessary documents when contacting us.

We can also help with the registration of documents for the entry of a vehicle to travel through Turkmenistan, Tajikistan (Gorny Badakhshan), China and Tibet.

Tell friends

Fixed-date departure tours

Other current tours

Best overland tours In Russia and CIS countries

Fly and Drive

Unique tours of the great cities, unknown places, winter and summer drive experiece

Overland Expeditions

We provide: logistics, paperwork, escort and local guide services

Our partners:
RFC Driveto UAZ Asia mountains autotour RFTWS
Need more details? We can quickly answer all your questions!